Last Updated: July 27, 2018
Who Processes Your Personal Data and Where
Because Open Road RVs does not pursue business in the European Union (“EU”), actively target or market goods and services to EU persons, actively engage in tracking and collecting information about EU residents online, or monitor and create profiles of EU persons that visit the website, we are not subject to the EU General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”). If you are a EU resident, be aware that GDPR mandates and disclosure requirements will not apply to your use of the website.
How We Use Your Personal Data
Our primary purpose in collecting your personal data is to provide you with the Services you request and those which we believe will optimize your use of the website. You agree that we may use your personal data for the following purposes:
- For the Services or to support your request;
- To contact you from time to time with user or Service updates;
- To send other messages that help us provide our Services;
- To assist people you have done business with. For example if you are an Owner and a Renter who has booked or inquired with you needs your details we may pass them on; if you are a Renter and an Owner you have booked with needs to contact you we may give them your details;
- To customize, measure, report on and improve our services, content and advertising;
- To promote Services related to the website and/or our affiliates;
- To compare information for accuracy, and verify it with third parties;
- To prevent, investigate or prosecute activity we think may be potentially illegal, unlawful, or harmful; and
We collate statistics about website traffic, sales and other commercial information which we pass onto third parties to assist us in improving the Services we provide to you. We also use demographic information to tailor the website and we share that information with third parties so that they can build up a better picture of our customer base and general consumer trends.If you are a Member, we may also contact you about your account and your use of our Services.
How We May Disclose Your Personal Data
We may disclose your personal data to enforce our policies, or where we are permitted to do so by applicable law, such as in response to a request by a law enforcement or governmental authority, or in connection with actual or proposed litigation, or to protect our property, people and other rights or interests.
We may also share your personal data with:
- One of our partners if you’ve requested their services or if you’ve requested to be provided with information by them;
- Another User if you have done business with them;
- A third party performing services on our behalf;
- Affiliated companies;
- Other companies or business entities, for example if we are thinking of a sale, merger, or other strategic transaction with or sale to that company or business entity;
- Any third party you have asked us to share your personal data with – such as Facebook, if you have asked us to connect with your Facebook account.
You may have accessed our website through a hyperlink from the site of one of our partners. If so, you consent to your personal details and purchase information, including behavioral patterns, being shared with that trading partner in accordance with our contractual relationship with them.
In the event that Open Road RVs is sold, or some of its assets transferred to a third party, your personal information may also be transferred. Potential purchasers and their advisors may have access to data as part of the sale process. Similarly, your personal information may be passed on to a successor in interest in the unlikely event of a liquidation, bankruptcy, or administration. Our customer database could be sold separately from the rest of the business, in whole or in a number of parts. It could be that the purchaser’s business is different from ours, too.
If you sign up as a Member on the website, you may receive our newsletter, which is an integral part of the Services we provide. Renters will be given the option to receive our Renter newsletter when they register with us. We may offer different newsletters from time to time intended to enhance the Services we offer. Users may cancel their subscription to these newsletters at any time, although it may take a short while for the changes in your preferences to become effective.
We also use surveys to collect information about our users. From time to time, we request users’ input in order to evaluate potential features and services. The decision to answer a survey is completely yours. We use information gathered from surveys to improve our services.
How Do We Protect Your Personal Information Once We Have It?
We take reasonable technical and organizational measures to guard against unauthorized or unlawful processing of your personal data and against accidental loss or destruction of, or damage to, your personal data. While no system is completely secure, we believe the measures implemented by the website reduce our vulnerability to security problems to a level appropriate to the type of data involved. We have security measures in place to protect our user database and access to this database is restricted internally. However, it remains your responsibility:
- To protect against unauthorized access to your website account;
- To ensure no-one else uses the website while your machine is logged on to the website (including by logging on to your machine through a mobile, Wi-Fi or shared access connection you are using);
- To log off or exit from the website when not using it;
- Where relevant, to keep your password or other access information secret. Your password and log-in details are personal to you and should not be given to anyone else or used to provide shared access for example over a network; and
- To maintain good internet security. For example if your email account or Facebook account is compromised this could allow access to your account with us if you have given us those details and/or permitted access through those accounts. If your email account is compromised it could be used to ask us to reset a password and gain access to your account with us. You should keep all of your account details secure. If you think that any of your accounts have been compromised you should change your account credentials with us, and in particular make sure any compromised account does not allow access to your account with us. You should also tell us as soon as you can, so that we can try to help you keep your account secure and if necessary warn anyone else who could be affected.
If you have asked us to share data with third party websites, however (such as Facebook), their servers may not be secure. Credit card information is generally stored by our credit card processing partners and we ask them to keep that data secure. We also use third parties to help us optimize our website flow, content and advertising (see below).Note that, despite the measures taken by us and the third parties we engage, the internet is not secure. As a result others may nevertheless unlawfully intercept or access private transmissions or data.
What Are Cookies, Web Beacons and Clear GIFs and Why Do We Use Them?
Web beacons may be used to track the traffic patterns of users from one page to another in order to maximize web traffic flow. Our third-party advertising service providers may also use web beacons to recognize you when you visit the website and to help determine how you found the website. If you would like more information about this and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.
Phishing or False emails
If you receive an unsolicited email that appears to be from us or one of our Members that requests personal information (such as your credit card, login, or password), or that asks you to verify or confirm your account or other personal information by clicking on a link, that email was likely to have been sent by someone trying to unlawfully obtain your information, sometimes referred to as a “phisher” or “spoofer.” We do not ask for this type of information in an email. Do not provide the information or click on the link. Please contact us at email@example.com if you get an email like this.
Job applicants, current and former employees
If you use the website to apply to work with us, we will use the information you supply to process your application and to monitor recruitment statistics. Where we want to disclose information to a third party, for example where we want to take up a reference, will not do so without informing you beforehand unless the disclosure is required by law. Personal information about unsuccessful candidates will be held for twelve (12) months after the recruitment exercise has been completed, it will then be destroyed or deleted. We retain de-personalized statistical information about applicants to help inform our recruitment activities, but individuals should not be identifiable from that data. Open Road RVs is based in the US and employee and recruitment data is held there.
Once a person has taken up employment with us, we will compile a file relating to their employment. At that stage we will give you more details about how we store employee details.
How do I opt-out of receiving marketing communications from you?
We will contact you from time to time for marketing purposes. Unless you have opted out, this could include contacting you by phone or email. You may opt-out of receiving marketing communications from us by the following means:
- Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Follow the instructions included in each communication or newsletter
Please remember that if you change your preferences it may take a short time for those preferences to become effective.
Your California Privacy Rights
California Civil Code Section § 1798.83 permits users of our Service that are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please send an email to email@example.com
We will not knowingly collect any information from individuals under the age of 13. If you are under the minimum age required for use of the Services, do not use or provide any information on the Services or on or through any of its features, register on the Services, make any purchases through the Services, use any of the interactive or public comment features of the Services or provide any information about yourself to us, including your name, address, telephone number, email address, or any screen name or user name you may use. Should we determine that you do not meet the age requirements for using our Services, your registration will be terminated immediately. If we learn we have collected or received personal information from a user under the required minimum age, we will delete that information.
How long will we keep your personal data?